2. Give your chosen Health Care Agent a copy of you Durable Power of Attorney for Health Care and Advance Health Care Directive. Make sure that your agent knows where to find the original.
3. Give your doctor a copy of your directive, and make certain it is put in your medical records. If your doctor is not affiliated with any hospital you may also send a copy to the nearest hospital.
4. If entering a hospital or nursing home, take a copy of your directive with you and ask that it be placed in your medical records.
5. Some people choose to keep a card with directions to finding their directive in their wallet.
6. When medics enter your home in an emergency they will look in your bedside table, on your refrigerator door and on your bedroom door. You may want to leave a copy in one of these locations.
7. Register your documents in DSHS’s Living Will Registry for free.