Great ways to build a legacy include:
- Think consciously about how you would want to be remembered and your core values, draft up a “mission statement” and refer to it as you make decisions in your life – big and small.
- Develop family traditions around holidays that match your values and have real meaning to you and your family.
- Create a tradition of community contribution by regularly volunteering for causes you support with your family and close friends.
- Learn & preserve your family’s history by creating family trees and matching photos with stories of who that person was and what they contributed to your family and community.
- Learn & preserve those parts of your culture you want your family to know and understand including language, food, and festivals.
- Draft a Legacy Letter to those you love.
- Include contributions to charities whose work you support into your estate plan or lifetime gifting. Share the motivation for those gift with those you love.
- Prepare an estate plan and disability plan that allows your loved ones the space to grieve and rebuild their lives without unnecessary conflict or legal hassle and expense.